Monday, January 6, 2014

A letter to my small group girls

I'm the type of person that will have a conversation with somebody and once the conversation is over, I am always playing back things in my head that I wish I would have said. Writing things down really helps, and I love writing letters to people!

I decided as a New Years Resolution I would take the time to really invest in my students lives.  But, before i took the time out of my schedule to take them out for lunch or coffee, i wanted to write them a letter.  I wanted to tell them exactly how i feel, exactly how much i care, and exactly how much they mean to me.

Dear Sarah, Jenn, Olyvia, and Emily,

Thank you so much for opening up your hearts to me! Thank you for giving me the wonderful opportunity to guide you and be your small group leader.  I am so grateful!

I am also scared. I've never done anything like this before.  But, I'm ready for the challenge.  I have been able to get to know you over the past four months and i cannot wait to see what God has in store for each of you.

I want you to know that I am here for you, every step of the way.  I want you girls to know that you can tell me anything.  I know it's a little scary, but looking back on the female leaders that I had in high school, I was able to talk to them about anything. And, I am still talking to one of them, years later.  And, it is nice being able to talk to a woman that, although is older, is not my mother.  I don't want to come across like a mother to you.  I want you to know that you can lay it all out on the table, but you also don't have to share anything that you are not comfortable with.

It is my goal to be completely honest.  And if I am being completely honest I want to share a couple things that I've struggled with.  I want to share these things with you because i want you all to know that if you're ever struggling with any of these, you can come to me.  Oh, and some of these...i still struggle with, I'm human, and only 20. :)

I've struggled with:

1. Being confident in myself

2. Feeling pretty

3. Being able to see people for who they really are

4. Being respectful to my parents

5. Loving my parents

6. Waiting on God's timing

7. Boys

8. Feeling loved

9. Breakups

10. Reading my bible every day

11. Having a relationship with Christ

12. Selfishness

13. Wanting something that wasn't mine

14. Being content with what God has placed in front of me

15. Temptation

16.  Being single

17.  Being in a relationship with somebody that wasn't saved

18. Not being able to stop eating tootsie rolls (but that's just because they're right next to my computer ;-p)

19.  School

20.  Praying

21.  Being the person that God has called me to be

...and that's just a few. And I guarantee you, you all will go through something on that list.  And that's why I am here.  I'm here because I've made mistakes and I've messed up, and I really don't want to see any of you go through what I have gone through.  But, I know that you will! And, I want to help you through it.

You're all so beautiful and hilarious! You girls make me laugh so much! Every week I look forward to seeing your cute faces. :) It definitely brightens up my day! I've gone through small group withdraw over the past two weeks! You girls have changed my life! :)

If I could offer one piece of advice right now it would be to take the time out of your day, even if it's five minutes, and spend time with the Lord. I have always, always, always struggled with doing this every day.  But, let me just tell you, it is SO worth it! Christ has given us His Word to guide us and direct us on the right path, and I hope that all of you can see that.  If you ever want me to take time and read something with you, or if you don't know what to read, just let me know!

I know high school is busy! I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have used the excuse "i don't have time to read my bible right now." I used it yesterday, and can I just tell you, I had a really bad day yesterday! But, I'm pretty sure if I started my day off right, it wouldn't have been so bad.  There's always time, even if you have to wake up 10 minutes earlier or go to bed 10 minutes later...make time.  And, I know you can because I've texted some of you at midnight...and you're still up, tweeting, snapchatting, and posting pictures on Instagram ;-p.

I hope all of you can see how much I want to be there for you.  I do plan on having one on one time with each of you regularly once I get my budget in order.  See what you get to look forward to when you're out of high school; budgeting your money and then realizing how quickly it disappears because of, gas, car insurance, car repairs, food, bills, college, etc. So, enjoy your worry-free time in high school! :)

I love you girls SO much and cannot wait to see where the Lord takes you over the next three and a half years!

Love and Blessings,
Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment