Monday, October 28, 2013

Finding Joy in the Simple Things

Over the past couple months my life has been filled with "wants" and "needs".  When my car died over the summer I needed a brand new car.  I need to move out of my parents house.  I want an iPhone.  I want a better job. I want to make more money. Yesterday my perspective changed big time when I spent a couple hours with a friend of mine, who is a pure gem.

Yesterday we stepped foot into a beautiful home! I won't go into details as to why exactly we were in this house, but it was beautiful! As I walked around, paying attention to little details I kept thinking about how I want to live in a house like this one.  So I voiced how I felt.  As we pulled out of the driveway I simply said, "I've always wanted to live in a big house."  He responded with, "I find living in Haiti, on the bare minimum, attractive."

When I heard those words come out of his mouth it stopped me in my tracks.  I probably said something like, "wow, seriously!?" because I did not have a clue how to respond to that one. I was...in awe...i guess you could say.  You might be thinking, "How can somebody find that attractive?".

That is exactly what happens when Jesus steps in. You find joy in the simple things.

I never grew up in a big house, or with a lot of money, but I have been blessed beyond words! I grew up going to a Christian school, which meant expensive tuition, which also meant that I would never grow up in that big beautiful home that I always wanted to.  

But I'm learning to find joy in the simple things like, having my dad wait up for me until I get home from work every night.  Usually our conversations consist of talking about money, Dave Ramsey, or how God opened up a door at work for me to share my story.  Simple things like, late night phone calls with my older brother while he is traveling for school.  Simple things like, sitting down with my younger brother watching the Red Sox push to win the World Series.  Simple things like, laughing with my mom over something funny that happened to us earlier in the week.

Simple things like, spending time with God in a coffee shop.

I don't need a new car, my own apartment, an iPhone, or a better job.  I absolutely need Jesus!

When Jesus steps into your life that does not mean that your life is going to be easy.  It may actually mean that it can be pretty difficult, but we depend on Christ and we trust Him to carry us through.  That's the beauty of Christ,  He takes us through tough situations to grow in Him.  He also takes us through beautiful situations to grow in Him.

It's been a while since I've written and I woke up with this huge desire to just share what God has lain on my heart.  I really believe that God is giving me the opportunity to share not just to hopefully encourage somebody, but also to encourage myself.

I never once thought that living in Haiti would be attractive until somebody brought Jesus into the picture! Jesus is so, so, so powerful that He can take something like that and turn it into something beautiful.

Surrendering your life over to Christ is the most amazing decision someone will ever make!  When you surrender your life over to Christ you have this overwhelming peace.  You start living with the mindset of, "Okay God, here I am. Do what YOU want with my life."

When you surrender your life over to Christ you find joy in the simple things.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment